[tor-relays] inet_csk_bind_conflict

Chris tor at wcbsecurity.com
Fri Dec 2 15:30:48 UTC 2022

Hi,

As I'm sure you've already gathered, your system is maxing out trying to
deal with all the connection requests. When inet_csk_get_port is called
and the port is found to be occupied then inet_csk_bind_conflict is
called to resolve the conflict. So in normal circumstances you shouldn't
see it in perf top much less at 79%. There are two ways to deal with it,
and each method should be complimented by the other. One way is to try
to increase the number of ports and reduce the wait time which you have
somehow tried. I would add the following:

net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout = 20

net.ipv4.tcp_max_tw_buckets = 1200

net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = 1200

net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies = 1

net.ipv4.tcp_max_syn_backlog = 8192

The complimentary method to the above is to lower the number of
connection requests by removing the frivolous connection requests out of
the equation using a few iptables rules.

I'm assuming the increased load you're experiencing is due to the
current DDos attacks and I'm not sure if you're using anything to
mitigate that but you should consider it.

You may find something useful at the following  links

[1](https://github.com/Enkidu-6/tor-ddos)

[2](https://github.com/toralf/torutils)

[background](https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/support/-/issues/40093)

Cheers.