[tor-relays] Overload (dropped ntor) due to DDoS??

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Fri Aug 5 14:42:55 UTC 2022

On Friday, August 5, 2022 1:11:27 AM CEST s7r wrote:
> Richard Menedetter wrote:

> > I have a non exit relay running on a root server (4 AMD Epyc cores, 8 GB
> > RAM, 2.5 GBit/s Ethernet) I have limited tor to numcpus 2,
Why? Do you have other services on the server? Otherwise, omit num CPU. Let
the tor daemon use all CPU's for crypto stuff.

> > relaybandwidthburst 15 MB, hardwareaccel 1, maxadvertisedbandwidth 10 MB,
> > maxmeminqueues 3GB
>
> Thanks for running a relay!
>
> didn't you also use RelayBandwidthRate along with RelayBandwidthBurst ?
>

> > Usually it takes less than 1 CPU core, and like 1 GB of RAM.
> > But recently my relay is foten shown as obverloaded.
> > I have these LOG entries:
> > Tor[814]: General overload -> Ntor dropped (290376) fraction 5.3451% is
> > above threshold of 0.5000%
>
> You are not the only one, it's an ongoing DoS attack on the network,
> targeting onion services.
>

> > Is this due to DDoS attacks or a misconfigration on my side?
>

> Besides the question above about RelayBandwidthRate I don't see anything
> wrong.
>

> > Is there something that I can do to aleviate this issue?
>

> Nope, there is nothing you can do, unfortunately. Tor has some defenses
> against DoS and will blacklist / mark the abusing addresses, etc. as
> much as it can. But as you know DoS is a never ending battle, usually
> won by having "larger pipe", and it's something hard to tickle in an
> environment where anonymity is the grounding law.
>
> What you can do is maintain your relay up and running in good shape with
> the latest version of Tor until this "attack" gets through. As I said, I
> guess most of relays are getting this at present times. The DoS "attack"
> is not targeted at your relay, what you are seeing is just a side effect
> of someone creating large amounts of circuits (heavy usage of Tor) which
> is reflected network-wide anyways.
Sometimes 100.000-1.000.000 connections from one IP!
I block the worst with 2 nftables egress rules.

toralf has developed some smarter ddos scripts:
https://github.com/toralf/torutils

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!