[tor-relays] Bridge Distribution Mechanism none

Ross Camm ross at whyza.net
Mon Apr 18 07:07:13 UTC 2022

I have been up and running with my Tor Bridge for a number of months now, yet Tor Metrics reports that the Bridge Distribution Mechanism for my server is stuck on 'none'.

Consequently I see no incoming connections to my Bridge.

I have tried altering the following

BridgeRelay 1
PublishServerDescriptor bridge
BridgeDistribution moat

with no success.
The mechanism is always none....and I have left the changes for a week to see if Metrics updates to no avail.

I have a static IPv4 address and functional IPv6 and have confirmed my ports are publicly accessible for both protocols

Self-testing indicates your ORPort [XXXX:XXXX:XXXX::XXX]:993 is reachable from the outside. Excellent.
Self-testing indicates your ORPort XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:993 is reachable from the outside. Excellent. Publishing server descriptor.

I am running raspberry pi os buster which had an obsolete Tor version.
I subsequently upgraded and stay up to date with the latest bullseye version via bullseye backports,

Currently Tor 0.4.6.10-1~bpo10+1

Any ideas of why my servers Bridge Distribution Mechanism is always reported and behaving as none  ?

Thanks in advance ;)

Ross