[tor-relays] Does Tor work with Intel QAT acceleration

Andreas Bollhalder bolle at geodb.org
Tue Apr 12 15:47:05 UTC 2022

Hello Alex

On Tuesday, April 12, 2022 16:19 CEST, "Alex Xu (Hello71)" <alex_y_xu at yahoo.ca> wrote:
 If you don't already have a QAT device, I would not suggest getting one
specifically for Tor. In particular, Tor doesn't spend very much time
actually doing AES. It's mostly overhead from cell processing, TCP,
small packets, etc. Additionally, because Tor uses a large number of
relatively low-bandwidth connections, it will mostly send small chunks
to the hardware engine, which is not particularly efficient. In the
future, it may be possible to use KTLS, in which case QAT might actually
improve performance quite a bit. However, there are a number of blockers
to this, including that it messes with Tor's bandwidth limiting.That's a great advice I can really apreciate. So I better look for a good CPU / NIC combination and will have a look in the sysctl parameters some have posted. If KTLS would get supported, maybe mutli-threading will come too in another step...

Would be nice to have this sort of information in FAQ on Tor project website. But hopefully, one with the same idea will now find this thread by searching the web as I couldn't.

Have a good day
Andreas