[tor-relays] Does Tor work with Intel QAT acceleration

Thoughts thoughts at kevinsthoughts.com
Mon Apr 11 13:58:52 UTC 2022

Two suggestions:

1)  Run speedtest (https://www.speedtest.net) from behind your firewall
and verify your actual bandwidth (or at least get a good approximation
<smile>).

2)  Check the brand of NIC in your current machine.  Intel NICs are
reportedly much more efficient than RealTek for handling large number of
packets - which is why they are recommended for most firewall machines.
Suspect that logic would apply for a Tor Relay as well.

Suspect you also want a CPU with AES-NI support.  Check the specs on the
web, AES-NI should be called out.  "cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep aes" will
also tell you if your running some flavor of linux.

Kevin

ps. Dig around on the web for firewall hardware recommendations. I know
I've seen some tables on throughput for pfsense, shouldn't be too hard
to find and might throw some light on the situation.

pps.  Very jealous of your connectivity!