[tor-relays] Overloaded state indicator on relay-search

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Wed Sep 29 07:43:00 UTC 2021

David Goulet:

[snip]

> There are two other overload lines that tor relay report:
> "overload-ratelimits" and "overload-fd-exhausted" but they are not used yet
> for the overload status on Metrics. But you can find them in your relay
> descriptor[0] if you are curious.

Small correction here: those two made it into the *extra-info*
descriptors. Thus, you want to have a look at those[1] and not the
server descriptors in case you want to figure out what is going on.

That said, I am currently working on network-health tools to get a
better overview about relays' overload and I plan to contact all
operators to help with configuration/tuning to avoid the overload we are
seeing. I started with the "overload-fd-exhausted" condition as that is
likely the easiest to fix and will get to the other ones once that one
is resolved.

> They are about when your relay reaches its connection global limit too often
> and when your relay runs out of file descriptors.

[snip]

Georg

[1] https://collector.torproject.org/recent/relay-descriptors/extra-infos/