[tor-relays] Need help with Dir Address and Exit Address

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Tue Sep 21 11:58:45 UTC 2021

> I have an exit relay running, and all is working well. I am a
> stickler though, and i notice when i search my relay on the metrics
> page, the following two items are listed as 'none':
>
> Dir Address Exit Address
>
> Can anyone help me to get these reporting properly?

there appears to be an outage of what
is called the exit_addresses field [1] in onionoo data
(which is bad for multiple reasons).

the table bellow shows how many exits have a non-empty
exit_addresses field.
This dropped to 0, meaning that no exit has this field populated anymore.
So this is not an issue with your exit relay specifically
and you don't need to worry that your configuration has a problem
with regards to the exit address.

+------------+-------------------------------------+
| date       | exits with non-empty exit_addresses |
+------------+-------------------------------------+
| 2021-09-15 |                                1283 |
| 2021-09-16 |                                1223 |
| 2021-09-17 |                                1222 |
| 2021-09-18 |                                1226 |
| 2021-09-19 |                                1226 |
| 2021-09-20 |                                 571 |
| 2021-09-21 |                                   0 |
+------------+-------------------------------------+

the raw data source that onionoo uses (exit scanner)
https://collector.torproject.org/recent/exit-lists/
appears to be fine though, so there might be an operational
issue with onionoo.torproject.org

Regarding your Dir Address:

According to your relay descriptor you do not have a (reachable) Dir port:
"
@type server-descriptor 1.0
router bleedangel 78.46.128.136 9001 0 0
[...]
"

The last number in that line is the DirPort,
which is "0" in your case.

Having no Dir address is not an issue
since dir fetches happen via the OR port these days.
If you want to have a dir address make sure that your config
includes a DirPort line and that the given port is reachable.
Also checking your logs is a good next step.

kind regards,
nusenu
--
https://nusenu.github.io