[tor-relays] Did obfs4proxy stopped working for you on Debian Buster or Bullseye?

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Wed Sep 1 21:36:07 UTC 2021

s7r wrote:
> I have edited /lib/systemd/system/tor at default.service & tor at .service to
> NoNewPrivileges=no and also installed libcap2-bin and setcap +ep to
> obfs4proxy executable. The libcap2-bin step is because I want to bind to
> a lower port, but even if I try to bind to a higher port like 50001 it
> will still not work and report the same:
>
> Pluggable Transport process terminated with status code 256.
>

> On another server I did a software upgrade from stretch to buster by apt
> dist upgrade and obfs4proxy stopped working as well. I am still digging
> here cause there are chances I did some mistakes while upgrading, so I
> am just mentioning the Bullseye problem because there are no excuses
> there, it should work, it's a clean fresh new install from scratch.
>
> Can someone please have another look to see if the problem is just on my
> side or if it's persistent among Bullseye installs, we should update the
> wiki bridge howto. Thanks.

Hello,

I think it has something to do with our hardening configuration. On
Debian Bullseye, I start my bridge with log info and I get:

[info] process_exec(): Starting new process: /usr/local/bin/obfs4proxy
[info] launch_managed_proxy(): Managed proxy at
'/usr/local/bin/obfs4proxy' has spawned with PID '1856'.

When I start the bridge (using systemd/systemctl), there are no Tor
processes or obfs4proxy processes running on the machine.

After it logs that info that it has spawned with another PID, I can find
that PID in my system as DEFUNCT.

# ps aux | grep tor
debian-+    1855 91.9  5.7 243532 230668 ?       Rs   17:28   0:15
/usr/bin/tor --defaults-torrc /usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc
-f /etc/tor/torrc --RunAsDaemon 0
debian-+    1856  5.2  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    17:28   0:00 [tor]
<defunct>

Wonder what is causing this. I am using the default install from
deb.tp.o just with NoNewPrivileges=no to tor at default.service and
tor at .service.

I also find it buggy that this is at info level.