[tor-relays] Tor automatic restart

Tor Manager tor at ibiblio.org
Sun Oct 10 17:04:12 UTC 2021

On Sunday, October 10, 2021 at 4:48:47 AM UTC-4 Keifer Bly wrote:

> I am wondering, is there a way configure tor (via the torrc file) to
> restart automatically once a month? Thank you.

Before you implement a time-based service restart, you may wish to check
that your OS and hardware (eg. firmware) are as up to date as you can
reasonably make them. It strikes me as odd that you would have that
instability that would require such a service restart. Do you have other
services running? Are you running any sort of system monitoring that would
tell you about issues with RAM or persistent storage?

With that said, I have used monit[0] in the past to bring services back up
when a test fails, though never tor. Note that my go-to if I were going to
implement monit would be to have a service check, and not restart on a time
basis, but rather on a threshold or reachability basis. Eg. if you were
going to use monit with a webapp, Id suggest you have a page in the style
of https://example.org/webapp/monit-check/ that must load the app runtime,
and then have monit restart everything involved in the app if that page
load takes more than 15 seconds. In your case that might look like
installing nyx[1] and having a wrapper script that checks with nyx and has
a non-zero exit you can have monit act on.

Cheers,
--
ibiblio Tor Manager

[0] https://mmonit.com/monit/documentation/monit.html