[tor-relays] Restarting Tor

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Sun Oct 10 10:44:02 UTC 2021

On Sunday, October 10, 2021 5:07:54 AM CEST sysmanager7 via tor-relays wrote:
> Greetings All, I have three relays that are in need of an upgrade and
> reboot. What is the best way to restart these relays without loosing flags
> or time?

That depends on your OS and the init daemon.
Example for sshd: https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-restart-ssh/
On Debian derivatives with systemd:

Reload will tell the service to reload its configuration files, but keep the
same process running. Restart tells it to shut down entirely, then restart.
Generally speaking, restart will terminate the service in question and restart
it; reload will only reload the configuration file. After an upgrade you must
use restart.

Use 'su -' or sudo

~$ sudo systemctl restart tor
~$ sudo systemctl reload tor

The above applies to all instances. For individual instances use:
~$ sudo systemctl reload tor at 00
~$ sudo systemctl reload tor at 01

On init.d systems (Unix/Linux/*BSD) use:
('su -', doas  or sudo)
~$ service restart tor

> Secondly how long can a relay be down before flags are dropped?

After a reload, the flags are retained. After a restart they are gone straight
away. How quickly they come back depends on the length and frequency of the
downtime.

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!