[tor-relays] Overloaded state indicator on relay-search

Bleedangel Tor Admin tor at bleedangel.com
Tue Oct 5 21:13:27 UTC 2021

This is much more informational. Great job!

As someone with mystery "overloaded" problems, i'd recommend / request / beg for the following:

1) When the relay is overloaded, a yellow indicator appears on the web page. This indicator remains for 72 hours after the overloaded state is remedied.
- This is not helpful in diagnosing anything, because even if the problem is solved, it is not evident that the relay is no longer overloaded for 72 hours.
-- once the relay is no longer overloaded, it should have a purple (or any other color) "recovery" indicator for 72 hours. At least the relay operator would know that the overloaded state has been repaired.

2) metricsport
- This is such an enigma to someone who is not familiar with prometheus, or torrc beyond the basics. As a matter of fact, when installing the tor-git package on Arch Linux, the man pages dont install automatically, so 'man torrc' gives a very helpful:

$ man torrc
No manual entry for torrc

The official tor website, under manuals section, -alpha: https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual-dev.html.en
does not include the documentation for metricsport.

i think the troubleshooting guide should contain directions to enable metricsport, and how to view the results:

To enable metricsport for advanced diagnosis:

In torrc set MetricsPort and MetricsPortPolicy flags as follows:

MetricsPort <server ip address>:<port>
MetricsPortPolicy accept <ip address to accept metricsport queries from>

it is good policy to only allow connections to the metricsport port from localhost as follows:

MetricsPort 127.0.0.1:9035               #This will open the metricsport server on port 9035, listening on localhost (127.0.0.1).
MetricsPortPolicy accept 127.0.0.1       #This will allow only localhost (127.0.0.0) to query the metricsport server.

Once these are set and the configuration reloaded (via SIGHUP or tor restart), the data can be queried as follows:

wget http://127.0.0.1:9035/metrics -O metricsport.txt

This will place a file in the current directory called 'metricsport.txt' that can be used to troubleshoot the overloaded relay issues via the information in this document