[tor-relays] Overloaded state indicator on relay-search

Silvia/Hiro hiro at torproject.org
Tue Oct 5 20:33:04 UTC 2021

On 10/4/21 1:36 PM, David Goulet wrote:
> On 02 Oct (01:29:56), torix via tor-relays wrote:
>> My relays (Aramis) marked overloaded don't make any sense either.  Two of
>> the ones marked with orange are the two with the lowest traffic I have (2-5
>> MiB/s and 4-9 MiB/s - not pushing any limits here); the third one with that
>> host has more traffic and is fine.
>>
>> So far this indicator seems to be no help to me.
>
> Keep in mind that the overload state might not be only about traffic capacity.
> Like this page states, there other factors including CPU and memory pressure.
>
> https://support.torproject.org/relay-operators/relay-bridge-overloaded/
>
> We are in a continuous process of making it better with feedback from the
> relay community. It is a hard problem because so many things can change or
> influence things. And different OSes also makes it challenging.
>
> Another thing here to remember, the overload state will be set for 72 hours
> even if a SINGLE overload event occurred.
>
> For more details:
> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2021-September/019844.html
>
> (FYI, we are in the process of adding this information in the support page ^).

We have now updated the support article at:
https://support.torproject.org/relay-operators/relay-bridge-overloaded/

We have tried to clarify how and why the overloaded state is triggered.
I hope this can help operators understand better why their relays can be
found in this state and how a normal state can be recovered.

Please do let us know what you think.

Cheers,
-hiro