[tor-relays] General overload -> DNS timeouts

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Thu Nov 18 08:08:34 UTC 2021

bobby stickel:
> I get that too I've noticed that Tor makes a lot of quest to non-existent
> domains. I run a pihole DNS without the ad blocking. I think this is a bug. They
> should at least give us the ability to control the warning level

It seems only one of your exit relays is affected by a general overload,
right? So, it's not clear whether you see the same DNS overload issue
other folks are reporting, given that one would expect to see that on
all of your relays. Maybe that's a different overload you are seeing
which is worth investigating?

Tor does indeed make requests to non-existant domains. That's, in short,
to test whether your resolver is behaving as it is supposed to. If you
are interested in what tor is actually doing here then
dns_launch_correctness_checks() in dns.c[1] is the entry point and your
friend.

Georg

[1]
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/tor/-/blob/main/src/feature/relay/dns.c