[tor-relays] Loss of Stable flag

Arlen Yaroslav arlenyaroslav63 at protonmail.com
Tue Nov 16 21:46:49 UTC 2021

On Monday, November 15th, 2021 at 21:53, Scott Bennett <bennett at sdf.org> wrote:

> The authority relays have exhibited very unstable behavior
>
> for, I think, nearly two years now, as I have pointed out several
>
> times on this list. For about three months now, there have been
>
> signs of improvement, but the situation is still not terribly
>
> stable or predictable. The two flags that appear to me to have
>
> been most affected are HSDir and Stable, but Fast has also come
>
> and gone occasionally since the instability began. I don't run
>
> a Guard relay, so I don't know about that flag's stability, but
>
> I would imagine that it would be affected by instability in the
>
> Stable and Fast flags. All three flags can come and go, seemingly
>
> at random, without regard to uptime of a relay or stability of its
>
> own characteristics and network connections.

Yes I have also lost the Guard and HSDir flags. I agree with you that these seem to be predicated on gaining the Stable flag, which is my focus for this thread. Basically, most of the DAs do not believe my relay's reported uptime, which at the time of writing is over 12 days. I would like to understand why this is happening. I suspect network issues (routing, peering or socket resources) are at play here but instead of spending time speculating I would prefer if the DA operators could assist me with this. The DAs which are witholding the flag are tor26, gabelmoo, dannenberg, maatuska and bastet.

I also agree with you that there appear to be wider problems with the consensus health overall, but to me the issues have increased noticably in the past few months.