[tor-relays] Hardware requirements for a fast Tor relay

tor-operator at urdn.com.ua tor-operator at urdn.com.ua
Fri Nov 12 09:12:02 UTC 2021

Elias via tor-relays <tor-relays at lists.torproject.org> wrote:

> This is actually not a "real" root server, it's a KVM server (of
> course). The CPU is an AMD EPYC 7702 with 2 dedicated cores per
> server at 3,35GHz.

Since this is virtualization, make sure that features such as AES
acceleration are active.

The number of cores is not really relevant since Tor is not
multi-threaded. The EPYC 7702 can boost up to 3.35 GHz, check that it
reaches that under load.

Also since you have 2 cores, you can run two instances of Tor.

> I chose this server because the bandwith is unmetered and it's a
> guaranteed 1GHz link.

I assume you mean 1 Gbit/s.