[tor-relays] General overload -> DNS timeouts

Anders Trier Olesen anders.trier.olesen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 23:25:50 UTC 2021

Hi Ibex

There's some discussion about this issue on #tor-relays. First of all, I
actually don't think there's any problem with your Exit node. IMO 1.5% is
expected and the current threshold is just too low (or the timeout too low).

We're hosting some fairly high capacity exit nodes (around 100mbit/s each),
generating about 100 DNS queries/sec in total. We're also seeing around
1.5% failed DNS queries.

Here's what I think is going on:
For some queries (1.5%?), the authoritative DNS servers for the requested
domain are not responding. Recursive DNS resolvers are by default more
patient than the Tor software. Eventually the recursive resolver will
return a 'SERVFAIL' to Tor, but by then, Tor has already given up, and
counts it as a timeout.

One example of a domain that is currently (2021-11-08T23:40+01:00) failing
to resolve because of its authoritative DNS servers being down is mzfgbh.com.
Try running `dig +trace +additional mzfgbh.com` (for some reason, dig
ignores the 'additional' section of one of the answers. Essentially the
problem is that this query (and a few others) times out: `dig mzfgbh.com @
1.1.1.20`).

On a related note, when this metric was introduced, we were seeing around
5-6% failed queries. The recursive DNS resolver we were using was hosted on
the same IP as a guard node. Apparently many authoritative DNS servers
block traffic from all Tor relays!

The most extreme example of this I found, is that the authoritative DNS
servers for the entire .by ccTLD (Belarus) are blocking DNS requests from
guard and exit nodes. This resulted in all <domain>.by queries timing out!

By moving our recursive DNS resolver to an IP not used by any Tor relays,
the DNS timeouts fraction reported by Tor dropped from 5-6% to 1.5%.

The Tor relay guide should recommend running your recursive resolver
(unbound) on a different IP than your exit:
https://community.torproject.org/relay/setup/exit/

- Anders Trier Olesen