[tor-relays] [Looking for feedback] An easier way to declare families

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Sat Nov 6 14:39:38 UTC 2021

On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 10:36 AM Nick Mathewson <nickm at torproject.org> wrote:

> Hello, relay operators!
>
> I'm hoping to get some feedback from relay operators, particularly
> those who use the MyFamily option, about the best way to deploy
> proposal 321.  You can read the proposal at:
>

> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/torspec/-/blob/master/proposals/321-happy-families.md
>
> The main idea of this proposal is to provide an easier way for
> relays to declare that they are in the same family.  With proposal
> 321, each relay in the same family uses a cryptographic certificate
> to prove that it is in the same family as the others.

One small clarification, since I know not everybody will read the proposal:
this proposal is not only for making families easier to declare: it will
also make them far more efficient to implement by saving significant
amounts of bandwidth for client directory downloads.  So even if everybody
thinks that the current MyFamily configuration mechanism is perfectly easy
and hassle-free (ha), we'd still probably want to implement something like
this in order to make the network more efficient.

cheers,
--
Nick