[tor-relays] current HSDir flag requirements

Logforme m7527 at abc.se
Wed May 26 14:02:26 UTC 2021

On 2021-05-26 08:18:32, "Scott Bennett" <bennett at sdf.org> wrote:
>I interpret that as meaning that one
>or more criteria being used by one or more authorities has changed,
What I have noticed on my relay is that the "Consensus Weight" is
fluctuating.
CW is too complicated for my tiny brain but I believe the measurements
from the Bandwidth Authorities is involved. The BWAuths are spread
around the world and depending on current internet conditions they get
different speed values to your relay. But can it cause massive swings in
CW?
Maybe the BWAuths have changed their measurement technique during the
last couple of months?

>  A further question I would like to raise is why do the Authority relays
>use different criteria from one to another for the automatic assignment of
>flags?  Should they not be consistent in using the same rules?

I agree that it is confusing that 2 auths don't assign the HSDir flag
according to the spec.
I have no explanation apart from that AFAIK moria1 is run by Roger
Dingledine and I guess he runs a lot of beta and test stuff.
moria1 publishes 2 HSDir "Flag Threshold" values (hsdir-wfu and
hsdir-tk) that no other auth publishes which leads me to believe moria1
runs another version of the auth software that handles the HSDir flag
differently. That don't explain bastet though.

It's fun to speculate :)