[tor-relays] let's make ContactInfo mandatory for exits (and warn others)

Jonas jonasdietrich at ctemplar.com
Fri May 14 22:18:04 UTC 2021

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Saturday, April 24, 2021 3:11 AM, nusenu  wrote:

>     Is this an effective remedy to deter malicious actors?
>     No and it is not meant to be one. It is trivial to set a random non-empty ContactInfo,
>     only in combination with other countermeasures it becomes actually useful.

> This.
>
> Also, not all of us are okay with the world finding out that we run Tor nodes.  Some of us
> just do it and don't make a big deal about it.

+1

Additionally, by forcing a sort of verifiable contact scheme, you are making it easy for global law enforcement and criminals to identify, harass, and otherwise harm exit operators. This has the side effect of bypassing legal process and "notice to customer" policies at the ISP.

I do not understand this drive for de-anonymization, coercion, and control of what volunteers can and cannot do with tor.