[tor-relays] Tor project helping to attempt to cancel Richard Stallman

Random Tor Node Operator tor at unterderbruecke.de
Fri Mar 26 15:40:21 UTC 2021

I believe to have observed a worrying pattern lately.
A small number of people select a person for a perceived or actual
wrongdoing and do their best at destroying their target's lives though
any and all means available. Including by exerting pressure on their
target's workplace to throw the target out, shun them, destroying them
completely.
This group of attackers usually comes with a larger group of followers
on certain "social" networks.

Too often the initially innocent bystanders give in to the attacks out
of fear of becoming themselves a target of the attackers.
They grant the attacker's wish and (consciously or not) become
accomplice of the attacker.

I am under the impression this might be the case here.

RMS may or may not have said something bad, I don't want to get into
that. As far as I heard, the accusations are limited to RMS having
stated an opinion, not having actually done something.

A "mob" decided to destroy him, and my impression is that TPO is now
giving in and gives RMS another media-effective shove while others are
in the process of throwing him under the bus, in an attempt at
virtue-signalling to the attackers, so they'd leave TPO alone.

It looks like an example of falling victim to divide and conquer.

There are strong enemies of privacy, freedom of speech, civil liberties
out there. We should try fighting them instead of fighting amongst one
another, fighting someone who has done a priceless job for the free
software movement for many many years.

My 2 modest guard/mid relays will keep running independent of this
embarrassing issue.