[tor-relays] Tor project helping to attempt to cancel Richard Stallman

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 14:40:24 UTC 2021

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 12:52 PM Jeffrey Cliff <jeffrey.cliff at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been running a relay/exit node for many years.  Tor user since ~2004.

Thank you for running an exit node. You provided a service to
the world and likely helped millions of people.

> To the extent that my voice means anything at all here, I would like to strongly condemn the Tor project joining the attempt to cancel Richard Stallman.  Stallman represents software freedom to me generally and as of today I will be shutting down my exit node in protest of this action by the Tor Project.

Your voice is meaningful, however it is unfortunate that you are
conflating a movement and a community, with one single person.
Furthermore, that one person is toxic and diminishes the strength
and accomplishments of free software. Richard Stallman should not
represent software freedom, we shouldn't put people on pedestals
and we should hold everyone accountable for their actions. RMS
helped start the free software movement, but he is not untouchable
and now there are much better leaders who should replace him. He
is holding back the movement and no one should praise him for that.

> I hope the rest of you out there, who depend every day on GNU project code which would not exist without RMS's project, might consider joining me.

No good actions should allow someone to perpetuate toxic behavior
and push away people in marginalized groups. I hope you reconsider
your position on this.