[tor-relays] Tor project helping to attempt to cancel Richard Stallman

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Thu Mar 25 12:55:09 UTC 2021

Hello!

Jeffrey Cliff:
> I've been running a relay/exit node for many years.  Tor user since ~2004.
> To the extent that my voice means anything at all here, I would like to
> strongly condemn the Tor project joining the attempt to cancel Richard
> Stallman.  Stallman represents software freedom to me generally and as of

For context, I suppose you refer to
https://twitter.com/torproject/status/1374754834050654212.

> today I will be shutting down my exit node in protest of this action by
the
> Tor Project.

That's sorry to hear, but thanks for the time and energy you put into
helping us. Much appreciated.

> I hope the rest of you out there, who depend every day on GNU project code
> which would not exist without RMS's project, might consider joining me.

We hope not! To the contrary, privacy online and enabling everyone to
participate in that space are more needed than ever. So, we need a
stronger Tor network (not a weaker one) to accomplish those goals and
everyone can help with that.

Georg