[tor-relays] Did 'Sandbox 1' break Tor for anyone else on 0.4.5.6?

William Kane ttallink at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 15 10:37:15 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,

Ever since I upgraded to tor version 0.4.5.6, enabling tor's built-in
seccomp sandbox completely breaks tor, i.e. it gets killed by the
kernel on start for a seccomp violation (fstat(..)) - sandboxing
worked fine on 0.4.4.6, my system configuration did not change between
the updates.

Not specifying 'Sandbox 1' in the torrc allows tor to fully start as
usual, I had to disable it post-update in order to be able to continue
running my relay.

/etc/tor/torrc:

ORPort 37.157.195.83:38619
ORPort [2a02:2b88:2:1::3239:0]:38619
Nickname michaelscott
ContactInfo ttallink at googlemail.com
ControlPort 9051
SocksPort 0
CookieAuthentication 1
ExitPolicy reject *:*
DataDirectory /var/lib/tor
# Sandbox 1
ShutdownWaitLength 120
MaxMemInQueues 672MB

/usr/lib/systemd/system/tor.service:

[Unit]
Description=Anonymizing Overlay Network
After=network.target

[Service]
User=tor
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/tor -f /etc/tor/torrc
ExecReload=/usr/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID
KillSignal=SIGINT
LimitNOFILE=32768
PrivateDevices=yes

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

/etc/systemd/system/tor.service.d/override.conf:

[Service]
PrivateTmp=yes
ProtectHome=yes
ProtectSystem=strict
ProtectKernelLogs=yes
ProtectKernelModules=yes
ProtectKernelTunables=yes
ProtectControlGroups=yes
NoNewPrivileges=yes
RestrictSUIDSGID=yes
RestrictAddressFamilies=AF_INET AF_INET6
ReadWritePaths=/var/lib/tor
CapabilityBoundingSet=CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE
TimeoutStopSec=2min 15s

I'm running ArchLinux with the 5.11.4 kernel, Tor is still sandboxed
by systemd so this is not a huge issue but I would like to be able to
continue using the built-in sandbox as well as systemd's sandboxing
options in order to maximize process isolation.

Did anyone else run into this?

I would have posted a bug report but due to various reason I am not
able to do so right now.

I figured this was happening because I do not grant the
CAP_DAC_READ_SEARCH capability, but I'm not so sure anymore if that's
the reason.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

- William