[tor-relays] I was banned from PayPal

potlatch potlatch at protonmail.com
Wed Mar 10 23:42:05 UTC 2021

Today I received a message from PayPal that paying for Tor relay server leases was a direct violation of my usage agreement. I have been paying off-shore VPS hosts for my Tor server leases with PayPal for at least ten years. Very interesting that they act now.

They specifically state the ban was for:
Providing file sharing services or access to newsgroups; or selling alcoholic beverages, non-cigarette tobacco products, e-cigarettes or prescription drugs/devices.
They further state that the ban is permanent and not reversible.

I liked using PayPal because it was a safe way to pay and didn't expose my credit card information. Before PayPal I used a prepaid card which I will probably go back too.
--Potlatch