[tor-relays] Thoughts and insight before bridge moving

William Kane ttallink at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 8 16:07:49 UTC 2021

Hi,

Every bridge is useful, and a possible chance for a tor user to
circumvent censorship, you can't possibly know which bridges are
already blocked for a user, so every bridge in the network counts  -
looking at your graphs, on average 50 people are connected to it,
compared to other bridges, that's a lot of users - if you move your
bridge, make sure to keep / back up the private signing keys, the
bridge related data (it's a separate folder inside the DataDirectory)
and if possible, the IP address it's running under, if you lose either
of them, you will lose all your clients which trust and possibly rely
on you, the bridge operator, to continue operations.

More information on moving tor nodes can be found here:
https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#UpgradeOrMove

Regards,
William