[tor-relays] Relay consensus weight drop

Scott Bennett bennett at sdf.org
Sat Jun 26 03:24:03 UTC 2021

Georg Koppen <gk at torproject.org> top-posted:

> Georg Koppen:
> > mikefloyd2:
> >> Following further decline of my server's consensus weight, I looked around a bit.
> >> I found some more servers that show similar behavior in the graphs shown on the Metrics website:
> >> * https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/01729F10A81DDD8A92D770B2133082EB56C75E26
> >> * https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/010B7728454411F485CE29D4C79A14534151C2C4
> >> * https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/1E5136DDC52FAE1219208F0A6BADB0BA62587EE6
> >> * https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/899D1D12BBF6ED445048CB302C0F14B6D15ADCA2
> >> * https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/00DCAEAE3E54C32809E7F7CC4BF2A6FC68FC552F
> >
> > Alright, that's useful, thanks! I've added those links to our ticket[1]
> > in case we need further data in order to track the problem down and fix it.
> >
> > As a general note: I asked the operator of bastet to switch back to
> > Torflow as soon as possible, so that Torflow-backed bandwidth
> > authorities have a majority again in our network. That should mitigate
> > the immediate problem and get all your relays back to appropriate
> > consensus weights (unless there are sbws-unrelated bugs preventing
> > that). Additionally, it gives us time to track down this bug and
> > properly fix it.
>
> We think we found the problem and fixed it. Again, thanks to everyone
> who reported this problem. After some testing we decided it would be
> save if bastet's bandwidth authority switched over to sbws again. This
> happened with the 1600 UTC vote. Please keep your eyes open in case
> there are more critical bugs lurking and if you find any issue do not
> hesitate to report it.

     I also note that once my relay's weighting returned to its previously normal range,
the HSDir flag returned intermittently for a day or two for the first time since late
last year and has been present continuously (AFAIK) ever since.  That allows my relay to
provide a bit more utility to the network once again.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *