[tor-relays] Relay consensus weight drop

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Fri Jun 25 19:54:39 UTC 2021

Georg Koppen:
> mikefloyd2:
>> Following further decline of my server's consensus weight, I looked around a bit.
>> I found some more servers that show similar behavior in the graphs shown on the Metrics website:
>> * https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/01729F10A81DDD8A92D770B2133082EB56C75E26
>> * https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/010B7728454411F485CE29D4C79A14534151C2C4
>> * https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/1E5136DDC52FAE1219208F0A6BADB0BA62587EE6
>> * https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/899D1D12BBF6ED445048CB302C0F14B6D15ADCA2
>> * https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/00DCAEAE3E54C32809E7F7CC4BF2A6FC68FC552F
>
> Alright, that's useful, thanks! I've added those links to our ticket[1]
> in case we need further data in order to track the problem down and fix it.
>
> As a general note: I asked the operator of bastet to switch back to
> Torflow as soon as possible, so that Torflow-backed bandwidth
> authorities have a majority again in our network. That should mitigate
> the immediate problem and get all your relays back to appropriate
> consensus weights (unless there are sbws-unrelated bugs preventing
> that). Additionally, it gives us time to track down this bug and
> properly fix it.

We think we found the problem and fixed it. Again, thanks to everyone
who reported this problem. After some testing we decided it would be
save if bastet's bandwidth authority switched over to sbws again. This
happened with the 1600 UTC vote. Please keep your eyes open in case
there are more critical bugs lurking and if you find any issue do not
hesitate to report it.

Thanks,
Georg