[tor-relays] Verify my Relay

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Thu Jun 24 14:58:14 UTC 2021

On Donnerstag, 24. Juni 2021 01:59:22 CEST S1l3nt Hash wrote:

> I wanted to do my part in helping the TOR network grow, so I've started a
> tor relay on a debian system. After running for a while and monitoring on
> Nyx, and checking Relay Search I've notice my link says "Offline".

IPv6 address discovery is the main pittfall.
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2020-July/018748.html

Since tor 0.4.4.x series, I write the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses _everywhere_ in
the config with the ports. (Address, OutboundBindAddress, ORPort)
I don't have any IPv4 only relays, try using:
ORPort <privat.IPv4.address>:9001 NoAdvertise
I'm not sure if that is also possible:
ORPort 9001 NoAdvertise,IPv4Only

> Address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (static public ip)
> DirPort 9030 NoAdvertise
> DirPort xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9030 NoListen (static public ip)
> ORPort 9001 NoAdvertise
   ^^^^^^^^^
ORPort <privat.IPv4>:9001 NoAdvertise
> ORPort xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9001 NoListen (static public ip)

> Also configured Port Forwarding on my router for 9001 and 9030 to the
> private IPv4 address on the tor relay.

For dual stack you have to do it for IPv4 and IPv6.

> Have not configured 9001 and 9030 to open in linux, are they by default?

By default, no netfilter / iptables are created on a Debian system for IPv4 and
IPv6. That means everything is open and forwarding is disabled.

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!