[tor-relays] Running Tor exit nodes on university networks

Andreas Kempe kempe at lysator.liu.se
Wed Jun 9 19:51:13 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jun 08, 2021 at 09:26:28AM +0200, Matthias Fetzer wrote:
> Hi Andreas,

Hello Matthias,

> There is a mailing list for tor & universities:
> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays-universities/ its not very
> high traffic and the archives do not hold many e-mails.
>
> It's maybe worth to ask there too and to read through the archives.

We have looked at the archives and the one mail that was fairly recent
and relevant was
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays-universities/2020-December/000057.html
which only got one SPAM reply. We decided it would be better if I post
on this list instead.

> I'd also suggest to check for EDU relays on relay search and contact some of
> the bigger EDU relays directly. It would probably be good to have some
> catalog of questions ready.
>
> Edu AS that I remember to run tor exit relays:
>
> - AS3 (MIT, US)
> - AS680 (DFN, DE)
> - AS12093 (UWaterloo, CA)
> - AS36850 (UNC, US)
>
> There are probably dozens more. So I'd suggest to browse through relay
> search yourself :-)

Thank you for the concrete suggestion regarding relevant AS numbers to
look at. We were keeping direct contact as plan B if we wouldn't
receive any replies on the list.

On Tue, Jun 08, 2021 at 05:06:43PM -0300, gus wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

> That's awesome, Andreas!
>
> We have this page with some tips:
> https://community.torproject.org/relay/community-resources/tor-relay-universities/

I read through the page before mailing the list and I especially
appreciate the template letter from EFF. I am hoping that a system of
standardised response e-mails can be realised to lessen the burden of
handling complaints. Maybe with some degree of automation?

> Here's a project that other members of our community have used in
> the past and that you could adapt for your university:
> https://www.overleaf.com/project/541e42eddb749944790bd16d
>
> And as Matthias said, you can find more relays outside .EDU, for
> example, this non-exit node hosted by our friends in University of
> Campinas, in Brazil:
> https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/1E7BDE03151AAB779CB4AFEAEEA52536FFAA9400

I don't think running a non-exit node would be an issue since they
won't generate nearly as much abuse. I have considered looking at
running normal nodes or possibly bridges if we hit a wall regarding
exit nodes.

> Regarding your specific questions, we can chat on #tor-relays /
> irc.oftc.net[1] (or #tor-relays:matrix.org, if you use matrix).

I'm present on oftc and will get in touch.

Thank you both for your answers!
Cordially,
Andreas Kempe