[tor-relays] Is my node dropping packets?

Marco Predicatori marco at predicatori.it
Thu Jul 29 14:57:25 UTC 2021

Hi, my Tor node is inside a local network protected by a firewall. Only port 9001
is NATted towards the Tor server.
Moreover, I have iptables active on the Tor server itself. The outer firewall
blocks any incoming packet except for packets on port 9001 and returning packets
from established connections.

My iptables blocks several packets which were allowed through by the outer firewall,
where I assume they are recognized as returning packets from established
connections. Then my local iptables drops them. I can't understand why.

You can find here an extract from my Tor node "iptables -L -n" and a typical
day's log of dropped packets on the Tor node:
https://easyupload.io/m/48if5l

Many packets coming from other Tor nodes where dropped. The Tor log doesn't mention
any problem. What may be wrong?

--
Bye, Marco
https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/A4E74410D83705EEFF24BC265DE2B2FF39BDA56E