[tor-relays] Relay Bandwidth/Burst Change

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Thu Jul 29 14:15:28 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 09:41:30PM -0500, Kathi wrote:
> I set torrc bandwidth/Burst to 5 MBs/6MBs respectively

How do you set them? By changing your /etc/tor/torrc file? Or some other
way like using nyx?

> Then I get @7pm Local:
>
>  Received reload signal (hup). Reloading config and resetting internal
> state.
>  Read configuration file "/usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc".
>  Read configuration file "/etc/tor/torrc".

Sounds like you are using the tor deb, or some other package which does
logrotation and thus automatically hups your Tor each day.

>  After the above happens I'm back to Kb second.
>
>  If I understand correctly, torrc is the 'go to' default and
>  those settings [*should be*] used.

Yes.

>  So why is the bandwidth/Burst being changed? Which
>  is REALLY annoying. There must be another setting
>  somewhere in Tor that I am missing?

It really comes down to how you are doing the config changes. Some
approaches, like doing changes via "setconf" on the control port, are
transient and are replaced by what's in the torrc files after a hup.

--Roger