[tor-relays] end of life: tor 0.4.4 (2021-06-15)

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Tue Jul 6 08:26:04 UTC 2021

nusenu:
> Reminder: tor 0.4.4 reached it's end of life on 2021-06-15.
>
> Over 1000 relays and about 20% of the network capacity runs an
> unsupported version of tor.
>
> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/team/-/wikis/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases#end-of-life
>

> Consider upgrading if you are one of the affected operators
> https://nusenu.github.io/OrNetStats/#end-of-life-relays-share

Thanks for that reminder, much appreciated. I remember us doing a
mass-mailing to relay operators last year in the wake of 0.2.9.x
becoming EOL. It might be time doing something like that again, even
though it would be good to have more scalable ideas and plans. Part of
the issue is that we don't have a good policy for dealing with EOL
relays right now[1] and then we'd "just" need to follow-up on that
policy[2].

Personally, I think the current situation is not really acceptable. So,
I try to get it higher on our priority list.

Georg

[1] https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/network-health/team/-/issues/55
[2] https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/network-health/team/-/issues/56