[tor-relays] Noob query, wish to run a bridge relay for tor community.

kaliania at mailfence.com kaliania at mailfence.com
Sun Jan 24 04:27:31 UTC 2021

Yes, you can throttle bandwidth of your relay (both in terms of overall thoroughput and the amount you let through per second), you can schedule when it runs, and you do not need to adhere to any sort of schedule. None of this needs to be manual aside from the initial configuration. As long as the computer is online and running tor, it will do everything on its own. It will not affect your personal browsing speeds at all.

However, you should be aware of the ramifications of running a relay on your home network. For instance, you will end up with your IP on some blacklists (even if you are not running an exit, some people will annoyingly blacklist all relays). In general, remember that doing this will mean your home IP is publicly listed as a tor relay. You may not want this for a number of reasons. You may consider running a bridge instead, which would not be included on relay lists, although I am not sure what other ramifications that might pose. You should figure out what those would be and discuss it with everyone who uses the network.

If you do decide to set something up, I would look into doing it on a linux vm, or a separate computer running linux. At the very least, would probably be a lot easier to set up. If you decide not to set up something at home, but would still like to try running a relay, a safe and not-too-expensive way to do so is to rent a VPS from a provider who is ok with tor relays and set it up there.

In any case, thanks for your willingness to help the network!