[tor-relays] My relay software gets hung up on OVH

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Mon Jan 11 12:43:00 UTC 2021

On 10.01.2021 22:23, Keifer Bly wrote:

> Sometimes gets hung up. About every two weeks or so, the relay
> software gets hung up, causing the relay to go offline. I notice when
> this happens, the tor log file becomes unreadable, making it difficult

Try:
journalctl -xe
journalctl -u tor.service

What means unreadable? Then something is wrong with logrotate or
/etc/logrotate.d/tor.

> to tell what was happening with the tor process when this occurs. It
> is only when the relay is restarted by running “killall tor” in
> terminal and then restarting the relay.

Don't you run Tor as a normal systemd service?
systemctl status tor.service -> shows last errors
systemctl reload tor -> 'killall' is only the last resort

By the way, don't be surprised if your server is under DDoS.
You allow SSH password login for all users!

Allow only one or a group. Example:
/etc/ssh/sshd_config -> AllowUsers Keifer user2 ...
or AllowGroups ssh-users

Login is only recommended via ssh key auth, not with a password!
Or you only allow access via VPN or certain IP's.

Why do you have 'accept 6660-6667' in the torrc?
TCP 6660-6667 and 6697 are well known DDoS ports.
Even if you don't allow exit traffic, I don't know whether that can be
exploited.

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!