[tor-relays] Exit node in spain

n1ngu n1ngu at riseup.net
Mon Jan 11 12:17:59 UTC 2021

Hi irr4z,

Spaniard relay operator here, sorry I missed the thread until now.

El 9/12/20 a les 21:04, lists at for-privacy.net ha escrit:

> Catalonia and Basque Country are the most liberal in Spain. Find a
> hosting company in Barcelona.

Regardless of this assumptions note that: both regions are under the
same regulations as the rest of the country AND usually suffer the
harshest treatment by Spain's law enforcement system (district
attorneys, courts, police forces, etc).

I think the key to success is in this previous email:

El 2/12/20 a les 22:07, Paul Templeton ha escrit:

> I will say I have never had a problem running an exit in Spain. I get 5 to 7 abuse emails a year. I respond to the complaints within 24 hours and have had no recourse.
>
> I'm a resident of Australia and run it in Spain as it is cost effective compared to here.

I think this is it: if you don't live in Spain, feel welcome to safely
host your relays in Spain data centers. But regarding the initial message

El 2/12/20 a les 9:25, irr4z ha escrit:

> Quickly, I write from Barcelona, I am interested in contributing to
> tor with exit nodes, but I am concerned about legal issues.
>
> I see that there is only 1 active exit node in Spain, and I wonder if
> it is so dangerous in my country

While I think it isn't inherently dangerous to run exit relays in Spain
(you won't be severely prosecuted because of some abuse complaints,
etc)  Spain has an established authoritarian trend specially careless
about digital freedoms.

This turned out pretty clear at the end of 2017 with the arrest of a
sysadmin working at the foundation that manages the .cat TLD, the raid
of Catalonia's InfoTech & Telecom Center, the prosecution of random
people for forking a website backup in github (not to mention the folk
who uploaded it first), the overall censorship conducted by major ISPs, etc.

I apology for this rant, there is a ton more info for those who are
interested about it, but this facts lead me to this advice: keep a low
profile. Don't participate in demonstrations, don't take side in
political arguments (very publicly, like in twitter or alike), don't
make activism other than the tor relay, don't rant on the king,
specially don't join labor or any kind of syndicates nor political
parties. Neither run for president. Those are the things you will
prosecuted for, the relay will only be a pretext to raid you or arrest
you or turn the public against you and probably start a shaming campaign
against the Tor network.

Rephrased: censorship yourself. So you could argue this is an overall
stupid advice. And I wish it was. That said,

El 9/12/20 a les 21:23, irr4z ha escrit:

> Finally these are my new exit nodes

I celebrate your courage and I look forward the day the global pandemic
softens so the community can meet again (I missed last Barcelona
relay-operator meetup). I'm very much interested in your experiences.
I'll try to stay tuned but don't hesitate to update any incident in this
list or in private.

Salut