[tor-relays] consensus

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Wed Jan 6 09:05:54 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jan 06, 2021 at 09:29:32AM +0100, Felix wrote:
> When I try
>   http://authorityip:dirport/tor/status-vote/current/consensus.z
> it's
>  'failed: Operation timed out'
> What works is:
>   http://relayip:dirport/tor/status-vote/current/consensus.z
>
> Am I missing something and is everything good? A glitch?

You can follow the chaos in more detail at
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-consensus-health/

But the very short answer is that it appears the overload from
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/tor/-/issues/33018
is back.

It appears that somebody has made their own Tor client implementation
and it fetches its dir info in a very rude way. If anybody knows details
of it, please do let us know.

moria1 is running the what-I-think-is-smarter behavior described in
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/tor/-/issues/33072#note_2709867
but in terms of getting that patch merged, I think we're in a "somebody
should" situation.

tl;dr "the network is still working but things could be better"

--Roger