[tor-relays] Info from my ISP about investigation of tor exits

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Sun Jan 3 15:07:05 UTC 2021

Olaf Grimm wrote:
> Here is the original of mail (in copy) from my provider
>
> Mail copy:
>
> "Hello,
>
> Unfortunately your traffic type is full of unwanted events not
> compatible with our company ethic.
> Since the first date of activity we've received many abuse reports
> regarding bruteforce, layer7 attacks, hacking and many others.
> Currently there is a police investigation regarding one of the 2 servers
> related to hacking activity against an european country security. The
> access and content is in interpol custody and we have a restriction on
> reactivation.
>
> Kind regards,
> George Oprea
> 24/7 Technical Support
> Zetservers.com /Romania"
>
> -->
> My answer:
> Thank you for your information.
> Good luck. I change my other servers to less trouble.  (Change Exits to
> Relay)
>
> Olaf

Is there anyone left in the interpol that doesn't know what Tor is and
how it works? Seriously, it's year 2021.

This Technical support person appears to have no clue that the traffic
is only blindly forwarded, there's nothing on the server itself that
generates the "abusive traffic". Nothing illegal can be found on them
(if it's just Tor installed and configured as an exit relay).

To be honest, I don't get these hosting providers that are so scared of
brute force and layer 7 attacks. These small hosting companies behave
like back in the 2000's when everything was so scary, when an IP address
usually meant one person or one physical address to bust the door.

Rather than changing from Exits to middles, try to explain to this small
hosting company what Tor is and how it works. There are plenty of Tor
exits in Romania, because it has very good internet, show them some AS
number examples from the same country so they will grow some courage
that they are not the only ones. Also tell them that there are many
thousands of servers worldwide, most of them within the European Union
which RO is part of. And leave the Exits to Exits ;)