[tor-relays] IPv6 auto-discovery vs. privacy extensions

Onion Operator flev at kpnmail.nl
Wed Feb 24 10:08:15 UTC 2021

Saluton,

My relay started to log this message since 0.4.5.5:

Auto-discovered IPv6 address [...]:443 has not been found reachable. However, IPv4 address is reachable. Publishing server descriptor without IPv6 address. [2 similar message(s) suppressed in last 2400 seconds]

I think it started with the introduction of IPv6 auto-discovery.

The problem, as I understand it, is that my relay has IPv6 privacy
extensions enabled and therefore the IPv6 detection logic gets
fooled. Indeed the IPv6 I see in the logs is one of the temporary
addresses used as client towards other relays.

Relevant config is:

ORPort 443 IPv4Only
ORPort [...]:443 IPv6Only

I added the IPv{4,6}Only options only in searching a solution to this
problem, before 0.4.5.5 the IPv6 relay worked perfectly without.

In reading the documentation of AddressDisableIPv6 I got the
impression that if (any?) ORPort is configured with IPv4Only the
IPv6 auto-discovery gets disabled but evidence does not support my
understanding. Is it a bug?

Any other way to disable IPv6 auto-discovery?

-- flev