[tor-relays] Bridge operator iat_mode setting

Felix zwiebel at quantentunnel.de
Wed Feb 24 09:47:10 UTC 2021

Hi Luiz

Am 23.02.2021 um 02:18 schrieb torjoy:
> I work with time and frequency references and run some tor bridges. What is the objective of "iat_mode" setting? Is an good timming reference important for this setting? For now, i'm adminstrating 3 briges, one with iat_mode=0, iat_mode=1 and iat_mode=2.
> Could you explain or forward me to some reading about it?

There might be other sources, but this is a short and nice one:

[
https://github.com/mikeperry-tor/vanguards/blob/master/README_SECURITY.md ]
§ The Best Way To Use Bridges

Note the use of the iat-mode=2 parameter. Setting iat-mode=2 (as opposed
to iat-mode=0 or 1) causes obfs4 to inject traffic timing changes into
your outgoing traffic, which is exactly the direction you want as a
service. The bridge itself does not need to have the same setting.

You can apply it to the client and/or the bridge. The outbound timing
will be handled accordingly.

--
Cheers, Felix