[tor-relays] syn flood iptables rule

Toralf Förster toralf.foerster at gmx.de
Mon Feb 22 14:27:29 UTC 2021

The following 3 statements

   # Make sure NEW incoming tcp connections are SYN packets; otherwise
we need to drop them.
   $IPT -A INPUT -p tcp ! --syn -m state --state NEW -j DROP

   # DDoS
   $IPT -A INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m recent --name synflood --set
   $IPT -A INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m recent --name synflood
--update --seconds 60 --hitcount 10 -j DROP

seems to work and to help here ata fast Tor relay. CPU went down from
109% to 95%. There're 500 connections less than before for a Tor fast relay.

The /proc/net/xt_recent/synflood is quickly filled.
Unfortunately I cannot change the "ip_list_tot" of "xt_recent" b/c I do
use a non-modular kernel. Does anybody knows a circumvention?

Are there any objections against this approach?
--
Toralf