[tor-relays] anyone else getting sync floods from russia?

niftybunny abuse-contact at to-surf-and-protect.net
Sun Feb 21 11:37:02 UTC 2021

Not at home but its just a cronjob running every x minutes and checking via netstat how many connections I get from every single IP. If I get say 20000 connections from a single IP it would be blocked with iptables.

Nothing fancy at all but it works as long as there are very few IPs ddosing me. It fails if there is a botnet and/or multiple /22 who connect to only a few ports per IP. I am sure a fancy Cisco Next Generation Firewall would be much better but I am too poor to even look at it.

Tracking every connection with iptables is very cpu intensive if you have a few 100k connections running on every server … so not really doable.

Right now my problem is: Whats all this about.

- I got no love letter beginning with: "If you want to stay online send us x Bitcoins to …. “ so this is not blackmailing me …

- In case some abuse pissed someone off and they decided to shut me down. This is an expensive attack over multiple days and high amounts of traffic. I doubt that someone is throwing a bunch of money in this just because they are pissed.

- State actors aka Russia trying to shut the network down? In this case they should be attacking others too. No answers in here = doesn't look like they do …