[tor-relays] Sig ver error

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Wed Feb 3 22:07:08 UTC 2021

On Wed, Feb 03, 2021 at 12:17:11PM -0500, tor wrote:
> I'm getting a signature verification error:
>
> $ sudo apt-get update
>
> Hit:1 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian stretch InRelease
>
> Hit:2 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian jessie InRelease
>
> Get:3 https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org stretch InRelease [3528 B]
>
> Err:3 https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org stretch InRelease
>
>   The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG 74A941BA219EC810
> deb.torproject.org archive signing key

Hi Matt,

There are two problems here:

First is that you need to re-import the deb.torproject.org signing key,
because you have an old version of the key which has an expiry date in
the past. You can do that by following the instructions on
https://support.torproject.org/apt/tor-deb-repo/

But second is that you have distro names like jessie and stretch in
your apt sources lines. Those distros are super super old:
https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/
https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/
So you should make some plans to move to a newer distro like buster.

Hope this helps,
--Roger