[tor-relays] Relay operators meetup @ rC3

ronqtorrelays at risley.net ronqtorrelays at risley.net
Wed Dec 29 20:43:13 UTC 2021

Hi!

I couldn't make the meeting (I retire at the end of January, and should at long last have time to devote to things Tor). Thanks for posting the notes.

It prompted me to review the draft "expectations for relay operators" document. It looks very good, though I do have a quibble. The line "Try not to let the cops get your relay keys"...

...seems to perpetuate the erroneous belief that the main use for Tor is to evade law enforcement

..."cops" can be considered derogatory in some English-speaking cultures and implies that the aims of Tor Project are averse to law enforcement

...ignores a large segment of potential Tor adversaries

I think the community would be better served by language like "Try not to let potential adversaries get your relay keys".

--Ron

PS: I have requested a gitlab account so that I can comment on the document directly, but I have made such a request before and not received a reply.