[tor-relays] [Censorship in Russia] More of my bridges got blocked

spaceoddity at disroot.org spaceoddity at disroot.org
Wed Dec 29 14:37:48 UTC 2021

Hello Tor people, just me chipping in about recent event.

Today, I discovered that somewhere around Dec, 22, all three of my recently
launched bridges have been censored on at least one network (MegaFon Moscow
AS25159). Metrics show a drastic traffic drop in the range of Dec, 21-23 for
all three bridges.

Investigating further, I discovered (using tcptraceroute/nc) that all three hosts
started responding with RSTs to all of their open ports (not only bridge ports
but SSH and other recently opened ports too). NATd source IP address was
unchanged from my usual one in every case.

One of the bridges had distribution method set to HTTPS, and the other two
were distributed via Moat. All ran recent Tor 0.4.6.8 Docker image.

NB: One of the bridges has incorrect 'First seen' date on the metrics portal -
it displays '2021-12-25' despite being launched several days prior.

To summarize:

  1. Bridge blocking happens via the common 'fast RST' method
  2. It happened relatively quickly (all bridges are less than 10 days uptime
     by now).
  3. Somehow, all three of my recently launched bridges were blacklisted despite
     using different ASs/hosters/countries for each. Is it a coincidence, or
     it's because Moat prefers to hand out newer bridges first, or due to
     something else entirely?

Also, I can not rule out that some step in my distribution chain was
compromised -- I gave out these bridges privately to a few friends.

--
Best regards,
Space Oddity.