[tor-relays] General overload -> DNS timeouts

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Fri Dec 17 08:21:33 UTC 2021

nusenu:

> To stop confusing operators it would make sense to remove the
>
> "This relay is overloaded since"
>
> banner from Relay Search for all tor versions prior to
> 0.4.6.9 and 0.4.7.3-alpha, no?

Well, not all potential overload is DNS related overload. There are a
bunch of different criteria for emitting a general overload warning.
Onionoo and this relay search have a hard time differentiating between
DNS related (general) overload and other (general) overload. Thus, I
don't think this change is easily to make.

I think the best option here is to upgrade swiftly to 0.4.6.9/0.4.7.3-alpha.

That said, we should update our documentation accordingly. I've filed a
ticket for that.[1]

Georg

[1] https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/web/support/-/issues/279