[tor-relays] Tor not starting but log inconclusive

Gary C. New garycnew at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 14 14:52:08 UTC 2021

Are you able to start Tor manually without systemd? Anytime I encounter Tor start issues, I attempt to manually start Tor without the --quiet option to verify whether it's a torrc issue or something else. You might consider increasing the Tor logging level, too. Your existing Tor log shows a DNS timeout error. As I do not operate an exit relay, I don't know whether the DNS timeout error would cause Tor not to start.
Respectfully,

Gary—
This Message Originated by the Sun.
iBigBlue 63W Solar Array (~12 Hour Charge)
+ 2 x Charmast 26800mAh Power Banks
= iPhone XS Max 512GB (~2 Weeks Charged)

    On Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 6:06:12 AM PST, yl <tor at yl.ms> wrote:

 Hello Roger,
thanks for your helpful tip.

On 12/14/21 12:14 PM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> My first thought is that somehow during boot Tor fails to start. For
> example, if at that point in the boot process there is no network,
> maybe Tor aborts even before it gets to the point of writing anything
> in its logs. We've definitely had bugs like that over the years.

this was the one really helpful tip.

>> Any idea how to troubleshoot this and what to look for?
> Tor will write to stdout before it switches over to writing to the
> logs. So whatever init process is starting Tor can see that output. How
> exactly to get at it... sounds like an adventure diving into how systemd
> works.:)

And then the tip that it writes to stdout and might be some other output
besides from unit "tor".

I see the problem now, and I think it is like you guessed the network is
not ready at that time.

Thanks, will check further.

yl