[tor-relays] Relays running an unsupported (EOL) Tor version

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Wed Dec 1 16:43:40 UTC 2021

Georg Koppen:
> Hello!
>
> Relays running unsupported Tor versions is a problem we have never
> really dealt with in a systematic way in the way. Some of you might
> recall that we (with the help of volunteers) tried back in 2019/2020 to
> get operators, running an unsupported Tor version, to upgrade[1] but
> then we dropped the ball. Alas.
>
> We just started that process again by contacting every relay operator
> running an outdated Tor version (any version not 0.3.5.x or 0.4.5.x or
> 0.4.6.x or 0.4.7.x) by email where possible. Additionally, we created a
> wiki page outlining the current process and things we still need to
> figure out.[2] On that page we plan to make statistics related to the
> EOL relay removal available as well, including the final list of relays
> we'll reject. Thus, stay tuned. Feedback, as always, is very much welcome!

Alright, I collected all the fingerprints of relays still running an EOL
version (that is, relays running none of 0.3.5.x, 0.4.5.x, 0.4.6.x or
0.4.7.x), which are 449, and prepared a commit to reject those. This
rejection will likely happen at some point in the next couple of hours
once a majority of directory authorities has picked up that commit.

At the same time I updated the wiki[2] adding all the relay fingerprints
of those relays, so we have a public record.

If this is affecting anyone of you, please upgrade your relay to a
supported Tor version and get in touch with us (off-list), so we can
help you getting the relay unblocked again.

Thanks,
Georg

[snip]