[tor-relays] IPv6 reachability tests fail on CenturyLink IPv6 6rd - reachability broken?

Neel Chauhan neel at neelc.org
Fri Aug 27 04:16:20 UTC 2021

Hi,

I recently moved into a home with CenturyLink Fiber and moved my FreeBSD
relays to the said home.

Fingerprints:

https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/B0F9BA27944FA59E3B1A182208FF7C0CFF5497B2
https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/DB710B14D7329B7289CFCC547F48EF53F812C40D

In my relay logs, while IPv4 works fine, I get these IPv6 errors:

Aug 26 18:47:01.000 [notice] Auto-discovered IPv6 address [REDACTED]:143
has not been found reachable. However, IPv4 address is reachable.
Publishing server descriptor without IPv6 address.
Aug 26 19:47:01.000 [notice] Auto-discovered IPv6 address [REDACTED]:143
has not been found reachable. However, IPv4 address is reachable.
Publishing server descriptor without IPv6 address. [2 similar message(s)
suppressed in last 2400 seconds]

CenturyLink does use 6rd for IPv6 in case that matters, however I can
telnet the relay ORPort via IPv6 from a VPS. My firewall is an OPNsense
box which terminates PPPoE/6rd.

I am running tor-0.4.6.4-rc. Yes I know it's not the "latest", but I
usually run the "beta" versions on my relays from FreeBSD pkg.

Rebooting both my OPNsense box and my server doesn't work.

The same relay fingerprints/torrcs/keys worked fine on Google
Fiber/Webpass native IPv6 in another address.

I'm guessing IPv6 reachability tests aren't working right now since it
worked with CL 6rd earlier today, or maybe CL misconfigured their
network.

It's not a biggie for me, but while I could go Comcast with better IPv6,
I'd rather have a high bandwidth relay than an IPv6 one with Comcast's
slow uploads/caps. Other Seattle ISPs like Webpass, Wave, and Atlas
aren't in my new home.

-Neel Chauhan

===

https://www.neelc.org/