[tor-relays] New round of measuring the accuracy of Tor relays' advertised bandwidth

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Wed Aug 25 10:02:11 UTC 2021

Hello!

You might recall we ran two "speed tests" so far for investigating the
accuracy of a relay's advertised bandwidth, one in 2021[1] and another
one earlier this year[2].

We gonna pick this test up again this week. However, this time it won't
be just a single run but we are rather scheduling the experiment to be
on for two weeks and then off for two weeks for the upcoming
weeks/months (see: the third item in our network experiments strategy[3]
for some rationale). More exactly: we'll run our measurement script for
roughly one week, then wait about a week for flooded values leaving the
relay descriptors, then 2 weeks off, then starting again...

The experiment itself has not changed: we are planning to download
several large data streams for a period of about 20 seconds with the
goal to get a better estimation of the relay's true capacity. There are
more details related to this experiment in particular in an older
mailing list thread[1], in case anyone is interested and has not seen
those yet.

As in previous instances of this "speed test" there is the option for an
opt-out. Let us know if any of you doesn't want to participate and we
remove your relay(s) from the list to scan.

Finally, an up-to-date status about the flooding being on/off (and other
experiments scheduled) can be found on our status page[4].

Thanks,
Georg

[1]
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2019-July/017535.htmlff.