[tor-relays] Network experiments on the Tor network

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Wed Aug 25 09:07:47 UTC 2021

Hello everyone!

As you might have seen we had announcements on this list a couple of
months back about experiments being run on the live Tor network.[1][2]

This shows that our network is quite popular among researchers, which is
great. However, it means as well that there are a bunch of questions
that might be concerning, like how this in general affects relays, which
role the Tor Project should play in this process, how we can be
transparent both to our users and our relay community while experiments
are running, how we can avoid different experiments, running
simultaneously, affecting each other etc. etc.

We therefore sat down a bit and wrote up our thoughts and reasoning on a
wiki page[3] which is hopefully helping to answer those questions some
of you might have.

Needless to say, feedback is much appreciated as this document is
nothing set in stone.

Georg

[1] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2021-May/019649.html
[2]https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2021-May/019672.html